About the Area
Moore County was formed in 1784 from Cumberland. It was named in honor of Captain Alfred Moore of Brunswick, a soldier of the Revolution and afterwards a judge of the Supreme Court of the United States. It is in the south central section of the State and is bounded by Harnett, Hoke, Scotland, Richmond, Montgomery, Randolph, Chatham, and Lee counties. The present area is 672 square miles and the population approximately 97,000. The act establishing the county provided for the erection of the public buildings. In 1795 an act was passed which stated that the location of the courthouse was inconvenient; it named commissioners to purchase land near the center of the county and erect a new courthouse. In 1796 an act was passed establishing Carthage on land where the courthouse was to stand. In 1803 an act was passed naming commissioners to lay out a town and build a courthouse as directed in the act of 1796. In 1806 Carthage was changed to Fagansville. In 1818, “Feaginsville” was changed back to Carthage. Carthage is the present county seat.
Pinehurst is a sought after destination for those seeking to escape harsh winters and for people from around the world who want to play some of the area’s 42 outstanding golf courses. In 2000, Golf Digest listed Pinehurst as Number 3 on its list of the world’s “50 Greatest Golf Destinations.” The U.S. Open Championship was held on the fabled Pinehurst No. 2 course designed by Donald Ross, in 1999 and in 2005. In 2014, history was made when, for the first time ever, the Women’s Open and the Men’s Open was held on the same golf course, Pinehurst No. 2. The U.S. Open is scheduled to return to Pinehurst No. 2 in 2024. It counts Gen. George C. Marshall Chief of Staff for presidents Roosevelt and Truman during WW2 and later the creator of the Marshall Plan and the Berlin Airlift as Sec. of State. Pinehurst was also the home of Carwood Lipton of “Band of Brothers” fame.
Southern Pines dates to before the Civil War when its economy was based on pine tar and turpentine. The forests were destroyed during the war but have fully recovered and presently punctuate this town’s genteel way of life slowly marking the passage of time. Its artistic and equestrian communities dating back to the Boyd family legacy created early in the 20th century. Notables like F. Scott Fitzgerald and William Faulkner made use of the Boyd home and now Weymouth Center for the Arts to write. The Walthour-Moss foundation established a 4100 acre preserve for riding and fox hunting around an equestrian community initially established by James Boyd who brought the first fox hounds from England and established the oldest fox hunt in North Carolina.
Things to do
House in the Horseshoe
Carolina Horse Park